Effective June 22, 2020, our office is open to the public with the following modifications:
- It is strongly recommended that you make an appointment for all marriage services. It is unlikely that we will be able to accommodate walk-in customers and they cannot be guaranteed service.
- Due to occupancy limitations, only the couple and 4 guests total will be permitted into the building for marriage ceremonies.
- Due to occupancy limitations, please do not arrive earlier than 20 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
Vital Record Copies, Official Record Viewing & Document Recording
- Be prepared to wait outside. Customers will be admitted into the building in numbers that allow for proper social distancing in our lobby and at our counters.
Please call our office at (916) 874-6334 if you have questions regarding modifications to our services.
The County Clerk/Recorder strives to provide responsive, efficient, and cost-effective service to customers while maintaining the highest degree of respect, fairness, public trust and integrity. Such service is balanced to reflect compliance with statutory requirements and the needs of our customers.
Our office carries out the following functions on behalf of Sacramento County:
- Issues and registers marriage licenses
- Performs civil marriage ceremonies
- Registers notaries public, process servers, professional photocopiers, legal document assistants (LDAs), and unlawful detainer assistants (UDAs)
- Files environmental impact reports
- Records or files authorized documents and maps
- Preserves the official archive of legally recordable documents
- Maintains records of all marriages, births, and deaths occurring within Sacramento County (Note: Divorce records are maintained by the Superior Court.)
- Issues birth, death and marriage certificates, and certified copies of recorded documents
Sign up for email alerts about County Clerk/Recorder services