Clerk/Recorder’s downtown office will be open for extend hours on Friday,
February 14th until 8:00 p.m. for marriage licenses and ceremony
services. Additional fees apply after 5:00 p.m. Appointments are
requested. Please call our office for availability if you do not see any
open appointments on our site.
Please note - the office will be closed Monday, February 17th for Lincoln's Birthday.
Clerk Fee Change
Effective January 1, 2020, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) environmental document filing fees increased pursuant to Section 711.4 of the Fish and Game Code.
Recording Fee Change
Effective January 1, 2020, pursuant to Government Code (Gov 27361.3), the fee to record a Government Release of Lien document increased from $8.00 to $20.00 due to the passage of Senate Bill 780 (0).
Grantor/Grantee Index Search
Starting June 24, 2019, the Sacramento County Clerk/Recorder’s Office transitioned to a new Grantor/Grantee Index system. To access the new search portal, click on the Records Search icon above. Please update any Clerk/Recorder Search favorites or shortcuts you have to the new Public Search page.
The County Clerk/Recorder strives to provide responsive, efficient, and cost-effective service to customers while maintaining the highest degree of respect, fairness, public trust and integrity. Such service is balanced to reflect compliance with statutory requirements and the needs of our customers.
Our office carries out the following functions on behalf of Sacramento County:
- Issues and registers marriage licenses
- Performs civil marriage ceremonies
- Registers notaries public, process servers, professional photocopiers, legal document assistants (LDAs), and unlawful detainer assistants (UDAs)
- Files environmental impact reports
- Records or files authorized documents and maps
- Preserves the official archive of legally recordable documents
- Maintains records of all marriages, births, and deaths occurring within Sacramento County (Note: Divorce records are maintained by the Superior Court.)
- Issues birth, death and marriage certificates, and certified copies of recorded documents
Sign up for email alerts about County Clerk/Recorder services