County Departments: What's Open/Closed/Modified
Closed to the Public Until Further Notice
As a directive from the Sacramento County Department of Public Health, our office is closed to the public effective March 18, 2020 and will remain closed until further notice.
You may call our office at (916) 874-6334 with questions.
For critical matters, you may contact (916) 874-2660.
Please be advised, the current emergency health situation has caused the online Records Search Index to be delayed.
The County Clerk/Recorder's Office is currently offering the following limited services:
County Service Center South
- Documents for Recording – will be accepted electronically, via mail or drop off in mail slot on 720 F Street, Sacramento, CA 95814.
- Map Filings – Mail, drop off, or in-person by appointment only. Call (916) 874-1645.
- Official Records Copy Requests - Mail or fax only.
- Vital Record Copy Requests (Birth/Death/Marriage) - Online through
www.vitalchek.com. Notarized Vital Record Applications will be accepted by mail or fax.
- Notary Public Filings - In-person, by appointment only, for individuals nearing expiration. Contact us at (916) 874-1645. All others via certified mail.
- Environmental Impact Reports (EIR) - Mail or drop off in the mail slot at 720 F Street, Sacramento CA, 95814.
- Professional Registrations - In-person, by appointment only, for individuals nearing their expiration date. Contact us at (916) 874-1645._________________________________________________________________________
The County Clerk/Recorder strives to provide responsive, efficient, and cost-effective service to customers while maintaining the highest degree of respect, fairness, public trust and integrity. Such service is balanced to reflect compliance with statutory requirements and the needs of our customers.
Our office carries out the following functions on behalf of Sacramento County:
- Issues and registers marriage licenses
- Performs civil marriage ceremonies
- Registers notaries public, process servers, professional photocopiers, legal document assistants (LDAs), and unlawful detainer assistants (UDAs)
- Files environmental impact reports
- Records or files authorized documents and maps
- Preserves the official archive of legally recordable documents
- Maintains records of all marriages, births, and deaths occurring within Sacramento County (Note: Divorce records are maintained by the Superior Court.)
- Issues birth, death and marriage certificates, and certified copies of recorded documents
Sign up for email alerts about County Clerk/Recorder services