Marriage Ceremonies

Civil Ceremony in our Office

Our office conducts civil marriage ceremonies for a fee of $36.  ​For further information visit Apply for a license.​  

General Information

Laws concerning marriage ceremonies are ​set forth in Sections 400-426 of the Family Code.  According to state law, the following officials who are 18 years of age or older may solemnize a marriage:

  • A priest, minister, rabbi, or authorized person of any religious denomination.
  • A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.
  • A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.
  • Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United States:
    • A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.
    • A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of the United States Congress.
    • A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.
    • A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.
  • A Member of the Legislature  or constitutional officer of this state or a Member of Congress of the United States  who represents a district within this state, or a former Member of the Legislature or constitutional officer of this state or a former Member of Congress of the United States who represented a district within this state.
  • A person that holds or formerly held an elected office of a city, county, or city and county.
  • A city clerk of a charter city or serving in accordance with subdivision (b) of Section 36501 of the Government Code, while holding office.
  • Ships’ captains have no authority to solemnize California marriages unless they fall into one of the categories listed above.