Requires original signature(s) on all instruments, papers, or notices presented for recording except as otherwise provided by law. A certified copy is also acceptable.
Related topic: Re-recording
|Page and Sheet Defined
(a) "Page" is one printed side of a single piece of paper being 8-½" x 11".(b) "Sheet" is one printed side of a single piece of paper which is not exactly
8-½" x 11" but not greater than 8-½" x 14".
|First Page or Sheet
The first page of all documents presented for recording must conform to the following requirements:
- At least the top 2-½ inches of the first page shall be reserved for recording information.
- The left 3-½ inches of this space shall be used by the public to show the name of the person requesting recording and the name and address to which the document is to be returned following recording.
- All documents submitted for recording shall have at least a ½ inch margin on the two vertical sides except in the space reserved for recording information.
- Title or titles shall be captioned on the first page of a document immediately below the space reserved for the recorder.
If the document being presented for recording does not comply with this format, the person requesting recording must attach, as the first page of the document, a sheet which meets these requirements. Standard recording fees will be charged for this page. Refer to the sample lead page for further clarification.
||All documents must have the title or titles of the document contained herein. Only that title or titles captioned on the first page of a document immediately below the space reserved for the recorder will be indexed.|
||If any part of a document does not conform to the definition of a page then a $3.00 surcharge shall be charged for every page or sheet of the document.|
Recorder ID Number
Book and Page
||Any document which modifies, releases, or cancels the provisions of a previously recorded document shall state the recorder identification number or the book and page of the document being modified, released, or canceled. Refer to the list for examples. |
|Notary Acknowledgment||CIV 1189||Any certificate of acknowledgment taken within the State of California shall be in this format.|
|Notary Jurat||GOV 8202||Any affidavit subscribed and sworn to before a notary in the State of California shall have attached a jurat in this format.|
* Codes sections are published on the California Legislative Information website.