Effective January 1, 2020, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) environmental document filing fees will increase pursuant to Section 711.4 of the Fish and Game Code.
Effective January 1, 2020, pursuant to Government Code (Gov 27361.3), the fee to record a Government Release of Lien document will increase from $8.00 to $20.00 due to the passage of Senate Bill 780 (SB780).
Sign up for email alerts about fee changes
A. Payment of Fees
The Recorder shall not record any instrument, file any paper or notice, furnish and copy, or render any service connected with his/her office until the fees prescribed by law are, if demanded, are paid or tendered. (GOV 6100). Refer to
Acceptable Forms of Payment for details on the payment methods we accept.
B. Recording and Filed Document Fees
1. Basic Recording Fees (GOV
- First page/title, 8½" x 11" - $20.00*. Each additional page, if all pages are 8½" x 11" - $3.00
- Each additional title - $20.00*
*Some documents may be assessed a $75 fee for the Building Homes and Jobs Act unless specific exemptions apply. To be exempt from paying the Building Homes and Jobs Act fee, a document presented for recording must have on the first/lead page, one of the following:
- Documents recorded concurrently “in connection with” a transfer subject to the imposition of documentary transfer tax.
- Documents recorded concurrently “in connection with” a transfer of real property that is a residential dwelling to an owner-occupier.
- The fee imposed has reached the cap of $225.
- Documents not related to real property.
- Documents assessed the Building Homes and Jobs Act Fee:
- First page/title, 8½" x 11" - $95.00.
- Each additional page, if all pages are 8½" x 11" - $3.00
- Each additional title - $95.00
- Documents exempt from the Real Estate Fraud Prosecution Fee:
- First page/title, 8½" x 11" - $14.00.
- Each additional page, if all pages are 8½" x 11" - $3.00
- Each additional title - $14.00
- Release of governmental lien (per lien released) (GOV 27361.3) - $20.00
2. Additions to Basic Recording Fees
Rules for Recorded Documents
- Portion of document more or less than 8½" x 11" (GOV 27361(a)(2))
- Surcharge charged for each page of the document if any page is other than 8½" x 11" - $3.00
Maximum size recordable is 8½" x 14"
- Involuntary Lien Notification (GOV 27387). For abstracts of judgment, mechanic's liens, homeowner's association liens, etc. (per judgment
debtor/owner) - $10.00
Documentary Transfer Tax (DTT)
. Imposed on each deed, instrument, or writing by which any lands, tenements, or other realty sold within the County shall be granted, assigned, transferred, or otherwise conveyed to, or vested in, the purchaser or purchasers, or any other person or persons by his or their direction. The tax is at the rate of $0.55 for each $500.00 or fractional part thereof, when the net consideration or value of the property exceeds $100.00 exclusive of the value of any lien or encumbrance remaining thereof at the time of sale. (RTC 11911
). Those cities opting into this tax receive half the amount collected for property in the city.
City Transfer Tax.
The City of Sacramento collects a separate Additional Real Property Transfer Tax ("City Transfer Tax") pursuant to Sacramento City Code section 3.16.020
and does not receive any DTT revenue. City transfer tax is collected, in addition to DTT, if the tax amount has been identified in the declaration
on the first or lead page the document. Read the City of Sacramento's notice
for further information.
Indexing of more than 10 names
). Each group of 10 names (or fraction after the initial 10 names) - $1.00
Documents requiring additional indexing
). Any instrument containing reference to more than one previously recorded document requires additional indexing. A fee of $1.00 shall be charged for each additional reference. The first cross reference is included in the recording fee.
) More than 9 lines per vertical inch or 22 characters per horizontal inch (per page) - $1.00
Filed Documents. Filed documents are contract agreements, contracts, and plans and specifications - $7.00 (GOV 27380)
Maps (subdivision, parcel, survey and assessment)
: (GOV 27372
Note: Financing statements (UCC-1 and UCC-2), process server bonds, and professional photocopier bonds are recorded; therefore, the fees are the same as
C. Recorded Documents Copy Fees (GOV 27366, Resolution No. 93-1566)
Note: A Certificate of Search is issued when a record cannot be located. The fee is the same as the copy fee. (GOV
27369, HSC 103650 & HSC
103625). A search of the public vital statistics microfiche indexes by the applicant is NO FEE.
Per name - $30.00
D. Marriage License Fees
E. Notary Fees
Taking the Oath of Office of Notary Public and Filing Bond
- $22.00 (GOV 26849.1
Recording Bond of Notary Public
) or Transfer of Notary Bond
- Notary Certification - $18.00 (GOV 26852)
F. Process Server Fees
- Registration of Process Server - $ 110.00 (BPC 22352, 22353).
Filing Bond of process Server
- $10.00 (BPC 22353
Recording Bond of Process Server
(b), GOV 27361
- Fingerprint Card Processing (per set of 2 cards) - $49.00
- Process Server ID Card - $37.00
G. Miscellaneous Fees
H. Photocopier Fees
- Registration of Professional Photocopier - $55.00 (BPC 22452, 22453, 22455(a))
Filing Bond of Professional Photocopier
- $10.00 (BPC 22455
Recording Bond of Professional Photocopier
(a)(1), GOV 27361
Additional Photocopier ID Card
- $37.00 (BPC 22453
I. Unlawful Detainer Assistant (UDA)
- Registration of Unlawful Detainer Assistant - $93.00 (BPC 6404, 6405(a))
Filing Bond of Unlawful Detainer Assistant
- $10.00 (BPC 6404
Recording Bond of Unlawful Detainer Assistant
Additional Unlawful Detainer Assistant ID Card
- $37.00 (BPC 6404
J. Legal Document Assistant (LDA)
- Registration of Legal Document Assistant - $93.00 (BPC 6404, 6405(a))
- Filing Bond of Legal Document Assistant - $10.00 (BPC 6404)
- Recording Bond of Legal Document Assistant (BPC 6405(b)(c))
- First page - $20.00
- Each additional page - $3.00
- Additional Legal Document Assistant ID Card - $37.00 (BPC
K. Special Fees
- Taking Acknowledgement, including Certificate per Signature - $8.00 (GOV 26855)
- Filing Partnership Dissolutions (proof of publication) - $4.00 (GOV 26850, SCC 2.01.012)
California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Filing Fees (FGC 711.4)
- 2020 CEQA Filing Fees
- Notice of determination
- Negative declaration - $2,446.75
- Mitigated negative declaration - $2,446.75
- Environmental impact report - $3383.25
- Notice of exemption - $40.00