Process servers deliver legal documents to individuals involved in a court proceeding.
In California, a process server is defined as any person who makes more than 10 services of process within this state during one calendar year, for specific compensation or in expectation of specific compensation; or any corporation or partnership that derives or expects to derive compensation from service of process within this state. Laws concerning process servers are set forth in California Business and Professions Code (BPC 22350-22360).
Pursuant to state law, process servers:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Cannot have a felony conviction
- Cannot be a party to the action in which they are serving process (i.e., Plaintiff, Defendant, Petitioner, Respondent)
- Must perform their duties in compliance with provisions of state and local laws governing the service of process
- Must register with the County Clerk of the county in which they reside or have their principal place of business
To register as a process server in Sacramento County, you must appear in-person at one of our office locations and:
- Present valid photo identification (such as a driver's license, passport, or military I.D.)
- Present a process server bond in the amount of $2,000 which names the registrant as principal and provides the term of the bond
- Prior to appearing at one of our office locations, please complete the online application form and submit it electronically:
- Get fingerprinted using a completed Request for Live Scan Service issued by this office
- Pay the appropriate fees*
File registration: $110.00
File bond: $10.00
Record bond*: $20.00 for the first page and $3.00 for each additional page (including any lead page)
Each additional ID card: $37.00
Live Scan fingerprinting: $49.00 (Note: You are responsible for the rolling fee payable to the agency performing the Live Scan service. Rolling fees vary by service provider. Visit the Attorney General's website to search for live scan locations.)
List of Registered Process Servers
Our office maintains records of process servers registered in Sacramento County. To find a registered process server, view the online list (updated monthly). To inquire about the status of a process server that does not appear on the list, contact our office at (916) 874-1645.
* When registering at either of our service center locations or after 3:00 p.m. at our Downtown office, the recording fee for the bond must be paid by a separate check or cash. Find out about acceptable forms of payment.